Important information regarding cookies
- Business Commentary(27)
- Business Start-up Support(13)
- Featured Business(75)
- Financial Support(8)
- Marketing Support(14)
Nasal Medical Ltd Wins the AIB Start-up Academy 2016
In October 2015 the AIB Start-up Academy competition opened and almost 450 start-ups applied for a place on an intensive eight-week mentoring and training programme with Irish Times Training.
Eleven finalists – Blackwater Distillery, Brendan Joseph, Buska Ltd, Cool Bean Co, Dropchef, Leaves, Nasal Medical Ltd, Popertee, Queezybags, Rebel Chilli and Topper Technology – won a place on the programme, which ran from January - April 2016 and provided them with comprehensive training on the skills needed to further develop their businesses.
On 28th April the 11 finalists pitched their businesses to a panel of judges in the Sugar Club, Dublin. Judges included John Irwin (Head of Business Propositions, AIB) and Brian Keating (Group Brands Director, AIB). Martin O’Connell of Nasal Medical Ltd came out on top, winning the ultimate prize, with a €20K cash injection. Martin’s devices have been shown in clinical trials to reduce snoring in 96% of people as well as reducing 98% of airborne allergies.
“This is a life changing prize for me,” said Martin. “It is a pivotal time for our business and we have grown so much; now I know we are going to just explode.”
“The last few weeks with the AIB Start-up Academy have been an invaluable experience and I would recommend any start-up to apply for it. A lot of hard work has gone into this company and I’m delighted that the judging panel believes in its potential.”
Nasal Medical finished ahead of Blackwater Distillery and Popertee, who finished runners up respectively.
As winner of the AIB Start-up Academy 2016, Nasal Medical will receive the ultimate start-up prize package consisting of:
- €20,000 cash investment from AIB
- €30,000 advertising spend with The Irish Times across print and digital (€20,000 print & €10,000 digital)
- Irish Times' office space for one year subject to licence
- Maximum Media – Advertising spend to the value of €65,000 across www.joe.ie, www.her.ie, www.SportsJOE.ie & HerFamily.ie
- Mentorship via Maximum Media
- Coaching from AIB (one-day marketing coaching and one-day digital coaching)
- One-day PR workshop with Wilson Hartnell valued at €10,000
- Rothco – Working with Rothco on the development of a creative strategy, with support in the creation and supply of print and digital assets
- Search & social media consultancy from Starcom and Radical
Brian Keating, Group Brands Director of AIB and member of the judging panel said, “The standard of the presentations tonight was incredible. We heard from some brilliant companies who are absolutely passionate about their products. I would like to congratulate Martin and all of the finalists, who should all be proud of what they’ve achieved. I wish them all the best for the future.”
Please be aware that all of the views expressed in this Blog are purely the personal views of the authors and commentators (including those working for AIB as members of the AIB website team or in any other capacity) and are based on their personal experiences and knowledge at the time of writing.
Some of the links above bring you to external websites. Your use of an external website is subject to the terms of that site.
Allied Irish Banks, p.l.c. is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Copyright Allied Irish Banks, p.l.c. 1995.