Important information regarding cookies
- Business Commentary(26)
- Business Start-up Support(13)
- Featured Business(73)
- Financial Support(8)
- Marketing Support(14)
Energy Management Case Study: Riverside Park Hotel and Leisure Club
The Riverside Park Hotel and Leisure Club, County Wexford, is a 60-bed, 4-Star Bord Fáilte approved luxury hotel. Over 100 weddings per year are catered for in its busy ground floor function room. The Hotel is picturesquely situated on the banks of the River Slaney, on the edges of the bustling market town of Enniscorthy.
In 2012 the management decided to replace the hotel’s existing beverage and food cooling systems with state-of-the-art glycol cooling to reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions.
Energy Saving Changes
REL Cooling Services Ltd replaced existing beer and food cold room compressors, beverage ice bank compressors and all under-counter coolers with two external high efficiency compressors. This new integrated system optimises energy usage, reduces electricity bills by over 40%, allows sub-zero dispense temperatures, reduces beer waste and increases beer quality.
Features of Riverside Park’s Glycol Cooling System
- Removal of 12 external air-cooled compressors and four internal under-counter coolers, replaced with two air-cooled high efficiency compressors
- Confirmed electricity savings of over €5,500 per annum based on winter analysis (Jan and Nov)
- 54% reduction in energy consumption per year on all replaced equipment in ballroom, main bar and kitchen food cold rooms, based on .14 cent per kWh
- Reduction in annual maintenance costs* , plant footprint and noise ( both internally and externally) *Savings not included in analysis
- Reduction in beer waste
- Improvement in beer quality
- All beer temperatures available, from -1°C – +5o°C
- Fully grant-aided and approved by all Irish breweries
- Free hot water – 650,000 litres of 50°C water per annum from heat recovery unit and tank, with annual savings of €1,815 in comparison to gas at .06 cent per kWh
- Life time savings: €80,806 (Average Lifespan 15 Years)
- Payback period: 32 months (excluding beer waste savings)
To verify savings, REL installed a power meter for 4 weeks before and after the installation. However, the most immediate and obvious benefits of the system were seen in the increase in beer quality and the reduction in beer waste. As Colin Neville, owner of the hotel, said: “It’s very rare to find a product that improves your customers’ experience while reducing your costs.”
Written by: REL Cooling Services Ltd – For more information on REL’s glycol beer cooling system, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you require finance for energy-saving projects, talk to AIB today.
Outlook: Energy Efficiency for Business
Energy costs have a significant impact on every SME in Ireland. Reducing energy consumption saves SMEs money, and those savings go straight to the bottom line. This report analyses energy consumption, the understanding of energy bills and the appetite to undertake energy initiatives to reduce costs.
Lending criteria, terms and conditions apply. Credit facilities are subject to repayment capacity and financial status and are not available to persons under 18 years of age. Security may be required.
Please be aware that all of the views expressed in this Blog are purely the personal views of the authors and commentators (including those working for AIB as members of the AIB website team or in any other capacity) and are based on their personal experiences and knowledge at the time of writing.
Some of the links above bring you to external websites. Your use of an external website is subject to the terms of that site.
Allied Irish Banks, p.l.c. is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Copyright Allied Irish Banks, p.l.c. 1995.